Piazza Mercato Delle Scarpe Bergamo

Piazza Mercato delle Scarpe – Shoe Market Square

An important square that characterises the history and landmarks of the Upper Town of Bergamo is undoubtedly Piazza Mercato delle Scarpe (Shoe Market Square), which was an important trading centre already in Roman times. It took its name from the exchange and trade of products, such as shoes and leather items, that historically took place every nine days. This was also where the ‘Guild of Shoemakers’ had its headquarters, located in the 14th-century building where the funicular railway station is today. Another important feature of the square is the presence of a large water collection cistern, one of the largest in the city, together with those in Piazza Mascheroni and the Fontanone. It is located below the square level and it was fed by the Magistral aqueduct. The water then flowed down to Porta Dipinta to feed the fountain bearing the same name. The mouth of the cistern was later replaced in 1795 to facilitate the passage of carts and carriages. Characterised by historic buildings and several arcades, it has retained its ancient charm over the centuries, making it an attractive touristic destination and an important place for the people of Bergamo themselves.

Itineraries, experiences and a local soul: this is the Bergamo that we want to tell you about!

BG By Tuk Tuk AP1 2024 BG By Tuk Tuk AP1 2044 BG By Tuk Tuk AP2 3292 Shooting Fotografico per Matrimoni in Tuk Tuk a Bergamo BG By Tuk Tuk AP1 9730